Parkin Archeological State Park
This National Historic Landmark preserves a 17-acre Mississippian Period American Indian village located here from A.D. 1000 to 1550. Archeologists at this research station also uncovered evidence that Hernando de Soto visited this site in 1541. Park interpreters offer tours, educational programs, and special events throughout the year. The site was the location of the 1920s-era Northern Ohio Lumber Cooperage Company, and the Northern Ohio School House still remains. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Admission is free for self-guided tours and viewing exhibits in the visitor center. Nearby are the day-use picnic area, playground, and pavilion, available by reservation only. A boat ramp provides access to the St. Francis River.
PICNIC AREA AND PLAYGROUND
Picnic tables, charcoal grills, and a playground at the south end of the park are available for year round public use. Restrooms are also located in this area.
Parkin Archeological State Park is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media